10 Tips For Staying Motivated On Holiday
10 Tips For Staying Motivated On Holiday
Whether you’re venturing to an exotic far flung corner of the world or you’re enjoying a staycation, the temptations on holiday are always the same to consume calorie laden food and drinks, and over indulge at the breakfast buffet
But having a well-deserved break doesn’t have to mean undoing all the good you’ve been doing health wise. If you’ve been working hard on your diet and exercise and want to keep it up whilst away, here’s some tips that can help:
- Pack your trainers – or travel in them. That way, you’ll have them with you and there’ll be no excuse for not getting active.
- Try and exercise early in the morning – motivation and best intentions can wane during the day. Aim to be up earlier than everyone else so that you can get your jog or gym session completed before the rest of the day gets in the way. You don’t have to exercise every day; we all deserve a lazy morning and rest. But if you do exercise in the morning you can feel smug for the rest of the day.
- Don’t turn virtuousness into an all-day treat pass – because having cheese for breakfast, chips and wine for lunch and prosecco before dinner, all because you exercised that morning will just cancel everything out. Aim for balance!
- Choose your venue carefully – look for hotels, camp sites or cottages with areas you can exercise in. Hotel gyms are usually free to use and are often quiet making them ideal to work out in. If you’re holidaying in self-catering apartments or similar, look for properties near open spaces where you can run or mix things up with an outside yoga session or HIIT workout using your favourite exercise app.
- Stay well hydrated – this is especially important if you’re in a hot climate. Becoming dehydrated will make you sluggish and less likely to find the motivation to exercise. If you’re drinking alcohol, make sure you drink one glass of water per alcoholic drink on top of your normal amount.
- Make sensible choices at the buffet – easier said than done we know. But opting for rice over chips or grilled fish over fried chicken and filling up on vegetables and salads from the beginning will help to keep you motivated throughout.
- Consider going self-catering – even if you love cooking, making meals whilst on holiday can seem like an unforgiving chore. But if you can share the load then all the better. Cooking for yourself will mean you can make healthier choices, and you’ll know exactly what’s in your food.
- Drink sensibly– alcohol is notoriously calorific but there are some sensible swaps. Choose white or sparkling wine over red and single shots with a diet mixer over beer.
- Banish the munchies – having too much to drink the night before will inevitably mean eating for comfort the following morning! Starting the day unhealthily will mean more chance of carrying on the day or even the holiday making unhealthy choices which does nothing for motivation. You might not want to, but go for the healthy option at the breakfast, you’ll thank yourself for it later.
- Don’t give up – to go through a whole holiday having to motivate yourself to do all the right things is a hard feat. Especially if everyone else is footloose and fancy free. Congratulate each healthy decision you make and allow yourself the odd treat. You’ve got this far; you thoroughly deserve it.
Workout with Davina McCall!
Lose weight, tone up and build your confidence with Davina McCall & her team of trainers. From dance and aerobics to yoga and xfight there is something for everyone!
You can get access to Own Your Goals and all it has to offer for as little as £4.99 a month including an exclusive community of over 40,000 people just like you.
We’ve got something for everyone.
With a huge variety of workouts, suitable for complete beginners or those looking to take their fitness to the next level, there is something for everyone.
Why Join OYG?
- Over 1000 On-Demand Workouts
- Work Out In the Comfort Of Your Own Home
- 20+ Fitness Challenges
- 11+ Fitness Programmes
- Create Your Own Workout Playlists
- Interactive Meal Planner
- Workout with Davina and 16 trainers
- Join The OYG Online Community
£49.99 for annual subscription, auto renews at end of period. New subscribers sign up through the link. Existing subscribers through OYG account. Saving of over 50% when compared to OYG OnDemand monthly £9.99. Promo organised by Universal Pictures Visual Programming Limited. OYG Terms: ownyourgoals.com/terms.