9 Top Tips For Keeping A Positive Mindset
9 Top Tips For Keeping A Positive Mindset
Overcoming negative thoughts can be difficult, but remaining positive in the face of a worldwide pandemic can make things even harder. Even if you’re not being directly affected by the coronavirus outbreak, either physically or financially, it’s hard to think of ways to stay positive when there’s so much fear and uncertainty at the moment.
So here’s our top tips for keeping your mind as positive and as free from negativity as possible…
- Turn off the news – as important as it is to stay connected and informed, having the news on all day or constantly checking for updates can destroy any positivity we might have left. Try to limit your exposure to the news to once a day, say at breakfast time, to get a daily briefing before going about the rest of your day.
- Be thankful – at the end of each day, think of two or three things you can be thankful for from that day. This could be as small as the sunshine coming through your window to getting a full grocery shop delivered to celebrating a loved one’s birthday on FaceTime.
- Focus on finishing a task every day – again, this can be seemingly small, such as getting to the end of the ironing pile or something more luxurious such as finishing reading that novel you started months ago. Relish in the fact that today, you achieved something good, no matter how insignificant that might’ve felt a few weeks ago.
- Laugh! Laughing with friends or loved ones on video calls, reminiscing about fun times or watching your favourite comedian on an Instagram live does wonders for a positive mindset. Having a laugh releases feel-good endorphins that will make you feel more alive and positive. If you can’t bring yourself to laugh, try looking in the mirror and simply smiling, it could do you the world of good.
- Surround yourself with positivity – think of all the people that add to your life, and call or video call them, and indulge in making each other feel good. Avoid talking about anything negative and allow those feel-good endorphins to flood your mind.
- Practice affirmations – affirmations are positive short sentences and phrases that you repeat to yourself over and over. They’re proven to help instil a sense of worth in ourselves. Here’s some affirmation ideas you can try.
- Practice yoga – yoga routines are designed to focus the thoughts and bring attention to the breath and staying present. Many of us here at Own Your Goals are turning to our online yoga classes to help keep feelings of fear and negativity firmly at the door.
- Help someone – at the moment, social distancing means that we can’t just pop over to see a neighbour. But we can still call them and leave some shopping on their doorstep. Here’s some other ways to help others to help yourself.
- Reframe negative thoughts – if your life is being seriously turned upside down by any of the effects of coronavirus, it’s going to be hard to simply think positively. So instead of burying negative thoughts and worries, tell yourself that your thoughts are valid. You’re allowed to feel how you’re feeling. Then try to find any positives you can from your situation, breathe and be kind to yourself. If you find yourself really struggling, reach out to friends or loved ones. The Samaritans also have valuable advice on mental health worries during the coronavirus outbreak.
Workout with Davina McCall!
Lose weight, tone up and build your confidence with Davina McCall & her team of trainers. From dance and aerobics to yoga and xfight there is something for everyone!
You can get access to Own Your Goals and all it has to offer for as little as £4.99 a month including an exclusive community of over 40,000 people just like you.
We’ve got something for everyone.
With a huge variety of workouts, suitable for complete beginners or those looking to take their fitness to the next level, there is something for everyone.
Why Join OYG?
- Over 1000 On-Demand Workouts
- Work Out In the Comfort Of Your Own Home
- 20+ Fitness Challenges
- 11+ Fitness Programmes
- Create Your Own Workout Playlists
- Interactive Meal Planner
- Workout with Davina and 16 trainers
- Join The OYG Online Community
£49.99 for annual subscription, auto renews at end of period. New subscribers sign up through the link. Existing subscribers through OYG account. Saving of over 50% when compared to OYG OnDemand monthly £9.99. Promo organised by Universal Pictures Visual Programming Limited. OYG Terms: ownyourgoals.com/terms.