Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 25g fresh root ginger, peeled and finely sliced or grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 425g can pineapple chunks in natural syrup (you need the syrup)
- 230g can plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 1/2 chicken stock cube (use gluten free if relevant)
- 1 teaspoon flour (use gluten free if relevant)
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (use gluten free if relevant)
- 150ml of water
- Serve on its own or with rice
How to Make It
Heat the oil in a large pan over a high heat and cook the chicken for 2 mins until browned on both sides.
Turn down the heat. Add the onion, pepper, ginger and cinnamon to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add the pineapple, 3tbsp of the pineapple syrup, tomatoes, ketchup, vinegar, stock cube and 150ml water. Bring to the boil, and then simmer for 15 mins to let the sauce thicken. Check the pan regularly to ensure the food does not stick to the pan.
In a bowl mix the flour with the rest of the syrup and stir to make a paste. Add to the pan and stir again until thickened. Add the soy sauce, and more vinegar if needed, to taste.
Make sure the chicken is cooked through before serving.
Note: You can swap the chicken for tofu to make it suitable for vegans and vegetarians. Or you can swap the chicken for pork for sweet and sour pork.
Workout with Davina McCall!
Lose weight, tone up and build your confidence with Davina McCall & her team of trainers. From dance and aerobics to yoga and xfight there is something for everyone!
You can get access to Own Your Goals and all it has to offer for as little as £14.99 a month including an exclusive community of over 360,000 people just like you.
We’ve got something for everyone.
With a huge variety of workouts, suitable for complete beginners or those looking to take their fitness to the next level, there is something for everyone